Monday, September 11, 2006

Sal Fasano quickly endearing himself as a Yankee. Yesterday he sealed the deal slamming a 3-run homer.

Here is a clip NY Times.
A self-deprecating nature is part of Fasano’s charm, and it has quickly endeared him to the Yankees after just seven weeks with the team. Yet Fasano is proud, deep down, and he showed on Sunday that he was more than a punch line.
Fasano guided Jaret Wright through six and a third strong innings, hit a three-run homer and even beat out an infield single in the Yankees’ 9-4 victory over the
Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards. At 85-56, the Yankees passed Detroit (86-58) for the best record in the American League.
“I do kid around a lot, but I don’t think anyone takes the game as serious as I do,” Fasano said. “I have fun, but I also prepare just as much as anybody and work just as hard as anybody on my game and my craft. I care.
“For a guy with the ability that I have to last this long, you either have to be really talented or you’ve got to be smarter than everybody else. I’m not saying I’m smarter than everybody else. I just have to work harder.”
Fasano is 35 years old, and the Yankees are his eighth team in nine major league seasons. The
Philadelphia Phillies let him go in July, when he was in a 2-for-20 slump, and he started 4 for 30 for the Yankees.
Yet there was Fasano in the second inning, hitting a high 94-mile-an-hour fastball over the center-field fence for a three-run homer. It started the scoring against Hayden Penn, a September call-up, and Wright was ecstatic.
“I was jumping up and down in the tunnel when he hit that ball,” Wright said. “It was great to see.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home